CEN/TC 411 -
|Title||Bio-based solvents - Requirements and test methods|
|Work Item Number||00411007|
|Abstract/Scope||This Technical Specification sets requirements for bio-based solvents in terms of properties, limits, application classes and test methods. It lays down the characteristics and details for assessment of bio-based solvents: - fit for purpose in terms of performance related properties; - comply with the requirements regarding the health, safety and environment which apply to general solvents; - are derived from a certain minimum percentage of biomass; and - comply with at least similar sustainability criteria as comparable (regular) solvents. The criteria of the Regulation for Environmental Assessment of Chemicals (REACH)  are included in the discussions that have led to this Technical Specification. NOTE EN 16575 defines the term “bio-based” as derived from biomass and clarifies that “bio-based” does not imply “biodegradable”. In addition, “biodegradable” does not necessarily imply the use of “bio-based” material.|
|date of Availability (DAV)||2015-03-25|
|ICS||87.060.30 - Solvents|
|Special National Condition(s)|
|Citation in OJEU|
|date of Ratification (DOR) (1)||2014-11-25|
|date of Availability (DAV) (2)||2015-03-25|
|date of Announcement (DOA) (3)||2015-06-30|
|date of Publication (DOP) (4)|
|date of Withdrawal (DOW) (5)|
|Normative reference (6)||
EN ISO 12185
EN ISO 14040
EN ISO 14044
(1) Date of ratification (dor) date when the Technical Board notes the approval of an EN (and HD for CENELEC), from which time the standard may be said to be approved
(2) Date of availability (dav) date when the definitive text in the official language versions of an approved CEN/CENELEC publication is distributed by the Central Secretariat
(3) Date of announcement (doa) latest date by which the existence of an EN (and HD for CENELEC), a TS or a CWA has to be announced at national level
(4) Date of publication (dop) latest date by which an EN has to be implemented at national level by publication of an identical national standard or by endorsement
(5) Date of withdrawal (dow) latest date by which national standards conflicting with an EN (and HD for CENELEC) have to be withdrawn
(6) This list of normative references is purely indicative. The only official list of normative reference is the list of the published standard.
In the case of undated standard, a link to the last dated version is provided.
In the case of series, a link to each standard identified in the series is provided.
We also invite you to check (via the website) whether corrigenda and/or amendments shall be read in conjunction with the main standard.